Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Parkinson's Disease Researcher's Attempt to Find a Definitive Cure

          Johnny Cash, Mohammad Ali, and Michael J. Fox. Other than being insanely talented, what do all three of these people have in common? These famous men, along with ten million others share one thing: Parkinson’s disease. To this day, scientists across the globe attempt to crack the code on this intricate disease.
Parkinson’s disease is long-term neurodegenerative disorder that targets motility. This disease is seen amongst older men and women. Parkinson’s is heavily associated with dopamine. Dopamine neurotransmitters are a major contributor to our reward center as well as our locomotor abilities. Some symptoms of Parkinson’s include rigidity, tremors, and slow movements. It is believed that the cause of Parkinson’s is the death of cells in the substantia nigra – specifically death of dopamine neurotransmitters.
However, in Dr. James Surmeier and his colleague’s article titled Calcium, cellular aging, and selective neuronal vulnerability in Parkinson’s disease it states that this might not actually be the case. There is considerable doubt that the “cellular stress alone” is the cause for the loss of dopamine neurotransmitters in Parkinson’s. Studies now show that there is “regional variability in the vulnerability” of dopamine (pg. 176). Not only this, but when patients received L-DOPA administration – which has the purpose of elevating dopamine levels – their disease did not progress faster. Researchers have also found that other neurons – not just dopamine – have died in Parkinson’s patients. This suggests that dopamine itself is not the primary cause of this neurodegenerative disease.

Surmeier and his fellow researchers believe that Parkinson’s disease is caused due to an excess influx of calcium. In the article it states that “epidemiological data…supports a linkage between L-type Ca2+ channels and the risk of developing PD” (pg. 175). Recently, researchers have learned that mitochondrial dysfunction has a role in Parkinson’s. It is found that PD patients have decreased activity in the mitochondrial NADH ubiquinone reductase. This means that patients of this disease face “oxidative damage to complex I” (pg. 175). From this, Surmeier et al. concluded that the oxidative stress is likely to stem from the mitochondria. This article suggests that the cause of PD is an increase of calcium levels which causes rapid aging in the SNc DA neurotransmitters. A possible way to combat this disease could be to figure out a way to reduce the Ca2+ levels in the brain. Surmeier proposes that this may be possible through DHP L-type channels. DHP is a calcium channel antagonist. These channels are proven to be safe in humans and therefore, an oral medication can be made. Through human studies, researchers found that certain DHP that surpasses that brain-blood barrier are able to reduce the likelihood of being diagnosed with PD. Through this discovery, they learned that an antagonist that was able to cross the brain-blood barrier and was a powerful Cav1.3 would “be a very effective neuroprotective agent” (pg. 178). This shows us that there may be hope after all for Parkinson’s disease patients.
In Carl Zimmer’s article tilted Clues to How an Electric Treatment for Parkinson’s Works, we learn that another interesting treatment to Parkinson’s disease is called deep brain stimulation. In the article, Dr. Starr from University of California, San Francisco put electrodes in the brains of Parkinson’s disease patients. After the surgery, Dr. Starr turned on the electrodes which caused a stream of buzzing electric pulses within the brain. His technique was successful as a number of patients felt the effect instantly. According to Dr. Starr when the patients are not taking their medications and are unable to move, suddenly can walk after the stimulation. Dr. Starr points out that although deep brain stimulation work, he does not really know the underlying causes as to why it so successful
To target the disease, neurosurgeons like Dr. Starr places electrodes into the basal ganglia where the dopamine neurotransmitters are usually made. Scientific studies have revealed that Parkinson’s alters the brain’s electrical rhythm. One of the rhythms that are prominently altered is the beta rhythm. The beta rhythm becomes stronger throughout the entire brain in patients with Parkinson’s disease. A significant correlation that Dr. Starr made was that deep brain stimulation causes the cortex to be less synchronized. This reduces the effects of the potent synchrony of the beta rhythm in PD patients that do not receive treatment.
Looking at Mohammad Ali, and others like him that have suffered from this disease, I believe it is safe to say that there is a correlation between the external environment and the molecular chemistry of our brains. With this said, both of these articles offer intriguing evidence of the extremely complex nature of Parkinson’s disease. It is clear that this disease is something that has researcher and doctors still very perplexed. There are a multitude of factors that go into the neurodegenerative disease. The biology is deeply intertwined with a myriad of cellular components which makes targeting the cause of Parkinson’s disease even harder to comprehend. 

Works Cited:

Surmeier, D. James, Jaime N. Guzman, and Javier Sanchez-Padilla. “Calcium, Cellular Aging, and Selective Neuronal Vulnerability in Parkinson’s Disease.”Cell calcium 47.2 (2010): 175–182. PMC. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.
Zimmer, Carl. "Clues to How an Electric Treatment for Parkinson’s Works." The New York Times. The New York Times, 15 Apr. 2015. Web. 19 Oct. 2016.


4 comments:


  1. I was diagnosed with Juvenile Parkinsonism at 16 after two years of doctor visits, tests and scary misdiagnoses. I remember being perfectly healthy, never even having had the flu until I was diagnosed. I was 47 at the time and was out to dinner with my family to celebrate after I got promoted at the office. While in the middle of a conversation with my mom, I passed out. About 30 seconds later I popped my head back up and continued like nothing had happened, while everyone looked like I was crazy. I lived with this all my life till someone told me about madida parkinson disease herbal formula. I place an order from their website at www . madidaherbalclinic .weebly .com, I was on madida herbal treatment for 9 weeks but I am 48 this year with no sign of Parkinson disease again. Madida PD herbal formula get rid of my PD.
    ........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  3. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful to dr ojieabu for all his help for my life, i was having Herpes Simplex Virus, and we were planing on getting married on early December, when we decided to get ourselves tested first and we found out that my fiancee was HSV 2 Positive, my fiancee was so unhappy, because this was a barrier for us to get married, so i went out to search out a remedy for my partner, and it was so surprising how dr ojieabu has been a blessing and healing to the masses, after reading about his work on a blog i immediately emailed him: (drojieabuherbalhome@gmail. com) and he wrote back to me that my fiancee will be OK and that we we get married this same year, i couldn't believe it, after doing all that is needed to be done, i was surprise that after 2weeks of using his medicine my fiancee went to the doc and was diagnose negative. For more info contact his email or WhatsApp:+2347087681025He also cure Lung cancer Blood CancerHart cancer Asthma cureAutism cure....COPD

    ReplyDelete