Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Is Earlier Always Better?


When I first started learning how to play electric guitar in my sophomore year of high school, I had no idea that it was going to be one of the best decisions of my life. The lessons I took for three years provided me with a solid background in guitar that I now appreciate more than ever. Currently, I play largely for enjoyment, mental exercise, and as a relaxation technique from a stressful school day. But I often think to myself, especially when I lack certain techniques trying to master a difficult song, “If only I could have started earlier, I would be so much better at guitar…”

Is learning earlier necessarily better? According the article “Early Music Lessons Have Longtime Benefits” by Dr. Perri Klass, taking music lessons in childhood comes with several long lasting benefits: increased active engagement, discipline, strengthened reading abilities, increased auditory skills, attention skills and memory skills. The evidence suggesting longtime benefits emerged from a research study at Northwestern University that examined electrical brain waves of two groups of college students as each group listened to complex sounds. The control group consisted of students who had never taken music lessons before and the experimental group had taken music lessons as children. The brain waves of students who had experienced musical training as children were more profound compared to the control group, indicating that taking music lessons earlier in life increases one’s ability to attend to the intricacies of music. This modification in brain waves suggests a more permanent or robust change in brain structure resulting from specific skills acquired through early musical training.

But is this not the result we expect? Those who are taught a specific skill or learn a specific sport at an early age are surely to learn something from that experience and generally be able perform better in that specific skill or sport later in life compared to someone who has limited or no exposure. For example, if you took golf lessons as a child for 2 years in which you learned how to hold a golf club, employ specific strategies on the course, and swing with great technique, chances are you will be better off on a nine hole course competing against a complete novice. Learning new skills modifies brain structures and pathways through processes such as Hebbian learning. It is hardly surprising that those individuals who take music lessons as children retain those skills and have lasting brain developments.

What I believe is more interesting and beneficial in younger musically driven children are the advances in attentional and memory learning, discipline and efficient practice methods that can be directly applied to an academic setting. When I wonder if starting earlier could have benefitted my guitar skills, I also consider if playing at such a young age would have been detrimental to my musical experience. What if the teacher I was assigned mainly focused on reading music and boring scales? Or what if my parents pressured me into taking guitar lessons and I developed an anxious association with the instrument I now love? All of the awesome benefits of learning a musical instrument at an early age would disappear with unpleasant teachers or forceful parents. Dr. Klass addresses the positive environment that must surround the student to achieve benefits from the musical training experience. “Different instruments, different teaching methods, different regimens — families need to find what appeals to the individual child and what works for the family, since a big piece of this should be about pleasure and mastery” (Klass). A great teacher is an important component to the equation, a concept that Gary Marcus explains in his book Guitar Zero.

            In his chapter “Back to School,” Marcus discusses the overwhelming importance of excellent music teachers and how crucial skills, such as enthusiasm and constructive feedback, convey immense influence upon young students and outweigh any advantages certain techniques, such as the Suzuki method, may have over others. “It’s not about the technique; it’s about the teacher” (Marcus 84). Instilling great efficient practice routines and diagnosing pertinent mistakes while keeping lessons fun and exciting are valuable skills that music teachers must possess to maintain a healthy learning environment. Looking back on my once a week guitar lessons for three years, I now realize that my teacher provided me with an excellent learning environment. Completely versed in music theory, he started me with the basics of scales, fingering techniques, and open chords, taking a considerable amount of time to show me why certain notes go well with each other and how a guitar’s fret board resembles a piano. When it became clear that I was not necessarily interested in learning how to read music and would much rather learn techniques that I could use to make my own music, he adapted to my style and altered the path I was on, always keeping me excited to go home and practice something new that I learned in class. His patience and willingness to adapt to what I wanted to learn kept me fully engaged and opened me up to a world of playing my own music in which the possibilities are infinite.

So should I have started earlier? Maybe. Maybe not. Everyone is unique in his or her way in that regard. I am just happy I started and thankful for my teacher's excellent teaching style. Music has permanently changed me mentally and physically, providing me with lifetime benefits that I am truly thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment